Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Back to Ukraine January 13th, 2009

My trip this time to Melitopal was uneventful as Delta only cancelled 2 flights and lost my luggage . We are getting used to the "It's Ukraine" philosophy. Another 42 hr trip which I survived although quite tired. 

Paula was still asleep when I got in at 5.30am Tuesday morning. I was not able to sleep on the plane, or the train so I was wiped out. I laid down for a couple of hours and then Vitaly called to tell us that he had met with the judge and the fee would be $2,200 to get the court date. The good news was it will be this Friday at 10am and he said ( we will have to wait and see) that he will wave the mandatory 10 day waiting period which may speed up the exit process a bit.

Yesterday after I was functional again we took a trip to the orphanage and saw Julia. We took a new translator (Sveta) with us to talk about girls stuff, and met with her care giver. The care giver answered a few questions and then could not wait to get out of there.

Valery in his friendly fashion roped us into a few more shots of Cognac and promised to go with us to Zaporizhzhia to help expedite the passports.

We then asked if Julia would go and find Nadya, and to our amazement she told us that Nadya was in the Hospital! Sometimes here you do not get information unless you ask a direct question. Well, as it turns out Nadya has a bad throat infection and will be in the local hospital for 6 days. We have tried to see the doctor but he is not around very much. We will try again today. We will also take her some food as the doctor told her she must eat alot to get better and she says " the food is awful so she cannot eat anymore" 

This morning Paula is out at the market, and getting the girls something to keep them busy,I am working and  hope to get my luggage back with my long underwear, and hat, and then out the orphanage.

And YES it is very cold here!

No comments: